International Red Panda Day - Sept 21, 2019
Join us for International Red Panda Day (IRPD) 2019 as an expected 100,000 visitors, at more than 80 zoos worldwide, learn about red pandas and help us create as many Red Panda Rangers as possible in a single day.
What is a Red Panda Ranger? A Red Panda Ranger is a special title given to children who help spread the word about red pandas. Look in our activity guide to see what activities you can do for IRPD to become a red panda ranger.
Download Event Materials
> 10th IRPD Poster Print & Web - By Brian Filarsky Art & Design
> IRPD Activity Guide 2019 - English (PDF)
> Official IRPD 2019 Logo - By Jenny Karkoska Design, LLC
> Red panda infosheet (print version - PDF) - by Darby Minter
> RPN Infosheet
> Become a Red Panda Ranger Flier (PDF)
> Family Tree Poster
> General Brochure Side A, Side B.
> Poaching and the Illegal Red Panda Trade Infographic
- Red pandas are not related to giant pandas and were discovered 50 years earlier! #theOriginalPanda #FirstPanda #IRPD2019
- Red pandas are important indicators of the vibrant forests in the Eastern Himalayas. #SaveTheRedPanda #IRPD2019
- Red pandas are the only living member of their taxonomic family. #theOriginalPanda #IRPD2019
2019 IRPD Participants
Here is a list of organizations celebrating IRPD this year. Thank you!
> Don't see your organization's name? Let us know and register.
- Ähtäri Zoo, Ähtäri, South Ostrobothnia / Etelä-Pohjanmaa, Finland - Celebrating on Sept. 21st
- Aqua Zoo Leeuwarden, Leeuwarden, Friesland, The Netherlands - On 21 September we will organize different activities to inform visitors about the red panda and what the Red Panda network does for conservation.
- Assiniboine Park Zoo, Winnipeg, MB, Canada - Celebrating on Sept. 21st - 22nd
- Billabong Zoo, Port MacQuire, New South Wales, Australia - Celebrate IRPD with Rato & Tito
- Bright's Zoo, Limestone, TN, USA
- Buttonwood Park Zoo, New Bedford, MA, USA - A new red panda habitat opened in 2019
- Cape May County Park & Zoo, Cape May Court House, NJ, USA
- Charles Paddock Zoo, Atascadero, California, USA
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, Chengdu, Sichuan, China - Sept. 19th-20th we will be visiting rural schools near where the wild giant pandas and red pandas live; on the 21st we will be conducting red panda presentations at the Chengdu Panda base for visitors.
- Chicago Zoological Park, Brrokfield, IL, USA
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, Cincinnati, OH, USA - Celebrate and raise awareness for endangered red pandas at the Cincinnati Zoo! Follow along on our social media for fun facts all day!
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Columbus, OH, USA - Join us at the red panda exhibit for fun activities, lots of pictures and information about pandas, scheduled enrichment for the pandas, and a special keeper talk.
- Detroit Zoological Society, Royal Oak, MI, USA - Celebrate with hands-on activities and zookeeper talks while learning about the importance of red panda conservation.
- Dresden Zoo, Saxony, Dresden, Germany - We will celebrate 10th IRPD on September 15th - join in and learn more about red pandas, their danger and their conservation.
- Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin, Ireland - Dublin Zoo is hosting a fun-filled event to mark IRPD. The event runs from 12.00 - 16.00. There will be lots of info on red pandas along with red panda themed activities and games!!
- Elmwood Park Zoo, Norristown, PA, USA
- Flamingo Land, Malton, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
- Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo - We'll be hosting an awareness and fundraising day for IRPD on Saturday 21st Sept. Our red panda keepers will answer questions about red pandas, raise awareness of the threats facing red pandas, fun red panda related craft activities and games, raffles and competitions all with the aim of raising money for RPN.
- Giardino Zoologico di Pistoia, Pistoia, Italy - Join us for educational activities to help raise awareness about red panda conservation.
- Gradina Zoologica Brasov, Brasnov, Romania - Celebrating IRPD on Sept. 21st.
- Greater Vancouver Zoo, Aldergrove, BC, Canada - Proud to highlight International Red Panda Day on Sept. 21, 2019! Join us for our Red Panda Keeper Talk at 5:00pm.
- Green Bay AAZK, Green Bay, WI, USA - Celebrating at the Northeastern Wisconsin Zoo on Sat., Sept. 21st. 10am-3pm
- Greensboro Science Center, Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - Become a Red Panda Ranger! Pick up your red panda passport and travel to stations representing countries in Asia where red pandas are found. The Greensboro Science Center hopes to raise enough money for the Red Panda Network to sponsor a Forest Guardian.
- Hemker Park & Zoo, Freeport, MN, USA
- Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, NE, USA
- Henry Vilas Zoo, Madison, WI, USA - We will be having zoo keeper talks, animal enrichment, storytime, and a booth with items to purchase in support of RPN, including art painted by our very own red panda, Tai. 10am - 2pm Attendance is free.
- IGS List Wildlife Conservation Club, Hannover, Niedersachsen, Germany - Celebrating on September 16th! Join us for a field trip (grades 7 to 10) to the Hannover Zoo to learn more about red pandas!
- Jackson Zoo, Jackson, Mississippi, USA - Our red panda, "Yoda" is a 13 year old male. We find him as gentle and wise as his namesake.
- Kansas City Zoo, Kansas City, MO, USA - The Kansas City Zoo is having a special overnight program, celebrating the 10th anniversary of International Red Panda Day!
- KMDA - ZOO Planckendael, Mechelen, Belgium - On 21/9 and 22/9 join us for guided walks about red pandas in our zoo and the Red Panda Network. There will also be a special keeper talk on these two days.
- Lake District Wildlife Park, Keswick, Cumbria, United Kingdom - Celebrating IRPD between July 20th - Aug. 2nd; and on Sept. 21st.
- Le Pal, Saint-Pourçain-sur-Besbre, France - Celebrating on 15th September
- Lee Richardson Zoo, Garden City, Kansas, USA
- Lisbon Zoo, Lisbon, Portugal
- Longleat, Wiltshire, England - Celebrating September 21st and 22nd.
- Loro Parque SA, Puerto de la Cruz, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- Memphis Zoo, Memphis, TN, USA - We will be celebrating our event on Saturday September 28th from 10a-2p.
- Mesker Park Zoo & Botanic Garden, Evansville, IN, USA - Our Docent and ZooTeen Volunteers will have stations located near our Red Panda enclosure.
- Miejski Ogród Zoologiczny w Łodzi Sp. Zoo, Lodz, Poland
- Mill Mountain Zoo, Roanoke, VA, USA - Sept 21st ( 11 am - 4 pm). Celebrate IRPD and children’s literature. Roanoke Public Libraries will be handing out free books, and there will be crafts, keeper chats, face painting and much more! Any child coming dressed as their favorite animal or storybook character will get a $1 off their admission!
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Montgomery, A, USA - Will be celebrating on September 21st 130-330!
- Naturschutz-Tierpark Görlitz, Görlitz, Germany
- New Zoo & Adventure Park, Green Bay, WI, USA - The NEW Zoo & Adventure Park, along with the Green Bay Chapter of the American Association of Zoo Keepers (AAZK), invite you to join us for International Red Panda Day on Saturday, September 21st, from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. This event is FREE with regular Zoo admission.
- Nordens Ark, Hunnebostrand, Sweden
- Office of the Chief of State, Pokhara, Nepal
- Oglebay Good Zoo, Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
- Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - IRPD celebrates a unique species both located in the Zoo’s new Sanctuary Asia habitat. Twin red panda cubs Ravi and Khyana – along with parents Leela and Thomas – are now viewable to the public! Presented by Bob Moore Subaru on Saturday, September 21, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Omuta City Zoo, Japan - Celebrating on September 21st. We will donating 100% of event donations to RPN.
- Oregon Zoo, Portland, OR, USA - Red Panda Network will have a table there from 11-2!
- Paradise Park, Cornwall, United Kingdom - Paradise Park is having a 'Red Panda Weekend' on 21st & 22nd Sept 2019. Join us for a special weekend and become a Red Panda Ranger by completing our quiz then claim your Red Panda Ranger badge, plus colouring sheets, gifts to buy, and a prize draw for a big cuddly Red Panda toy. All proceeds to support RPN.
- Paradise Wildlife Park, Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, England
- Parc Animalier d'Auvergne, Ardes, Auvergne, France - Celebrating on September 15th; activities will be organized (quiz, educational games, private feedings) to raise awareness about the species and its threats, and also raise money for Red Panda Network.
- Parc Animalier des Pyrénées, Ayzac-Ost, France - Celebrating on 22nd of September
- Parc Animalier de Sainte-Croix, Rhodes, France - Celebrate IRPD with us on Sept 21st & 22nd
- Parc Merveilleux, Bettembourg, Luxembourg
- Parc de Cleres, Clères, France
- Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse, Mulhouse, France - Celebrate IRPD with us on 14th-15th of September
- Parco Faunistico La Torbiera, Agrate Conturbia, Novara, Italy - Celebrating IRPD with talks and other initiatives during the day to involve and raise public awareness to the protection of red panda and its conservation projects.
- Parco Natura Viva, Bussolengo, Verona, Italy - Celebrating IRPD between September 13th - 15th 2019. There will be educational activities and talks throughout the weekend, including a conservation stand to raise awareness and share information about these threatened animals.
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, Pittsburgh, PA, USA - Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium will host International Red Panda Day on Saturday, September 28 to coincide with Boy Scout Day at the Zoo.
- PodkrusnohorskÏ Zoopark Chomutov, Czech Republic
- Potter Park Zoo, Lansing, MI, USA - Celebrating on Sunday, September 15 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A zookeeper and docents will be on hand to share information about the red pandas’ special adaptations, their care in the zoo, and what’s being done to help them in the wild. See red pandas in action as they receive bamboo and special enrichment, and enjoy family activities such as children’s crafts and a scavenger hunt.
- Professional Association of Zookeepers in Germany, Zarrendorf, Germany
Hosting a carnivores/predators workshop on September13-15.
- Pueblo Zoo, Pueblo, CO, USA - Join us for special conservation carts, hands-on activities and demos, talks and more!
- Reserve de La Haute Touche, Obterre, France - Celebrating on 10th-11th of August
- Reserve Zoologique de St Martin La Plaine, Saint-Martin-la-Plaine, France - Join us of 21st of August
- Roosevelt Park Zoo, Minot, ND, USA - We will be doing a fundraiser where visitors can color their own red panda button for $3. All money collected goes to the zoo’s Change for Change Fund, which is then distributed to various conservation efforts both locally and internationally. There will also be keeper chats.
- Rosamond Gifford Zoo, Syracuse, NY, USA
- Rotterdam Zoo, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Saitama Children's Zoo, Saitama, Japan
- San Diego Zoo, San Diego, CA, USA
- San Francisco Zoo, San Francisco, CA, USA - Join Tenzing, Hillary and Hunter as we celebrate International Red Panda Day on Saturday, September 21! Discover fascinating facts about wild red pandas and take home an activity book from our partners at the Red Panda Network. Contribute to conservation of the species and receive a red panda keepsake, handmade by Animal Staff (while supplies last)! Watch our red pandas investigate bamboo enrichment and learn about pandas from those who know them best at special keeper talks.
- Scovill Zoo, Decatur, IL, USA
- Seneca Park Zoo, Rochester, NY, USA - We will be celebrating our very first red panda day on Saturday, Sept. 28th!
- Sequoia Park Zoo, Eureka, California, USA
- Shepreth Wildlife Park, Royston, UK - Celebrating on Sept. 14th!
- Silesian Zoological Garden (Chorzow Zoo), Chorzów, Poland - Join us and take part in educational activities to raise awareness about the protection of red pandas.
- Spacebib, Singapore - A free "Run for the Red Panda" online race to celebrate the International Red Panda day by creating awareness as well as a donation to RPN.
- Stichting Vogelpark Avifauna, Alphen aan den Rijn, Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands - During the IRPD 2019 we are offering a special feeding presentation and our education staff will be at the enclosure to share information. Plus, there will be red panda masks for the kids!
- Symbio Wildlife Park, Helensburgh, Australia
- Toledo Zoo, Toledo, OH, USA
- Trevor Zoo at Millbrook School, Millbrook, NY, USA
- Utica Zoo, Utica, New York, USA - Celebrating IRPD on Saturday, Sept. 21st. Activities for the kids, raffles, and their might even be a surprise for guests to see!
- Woburn Safari Park, Milton Keynes, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
- Zoo African Safari, Plaisance du touch, Occitanie, France - We will participate with key figures, animations, & makeup.
- Zoo Aquarium de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
- Zoo Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Zoobotanical Garden in Toruń, Toruń, Poland - Join us for a red panda feeding show, contest, and children's games.
- Zoo Bratislava, Bratislava, Slovakia - Join us for social media postings from the world of red pandas in the week of September 16-22; on Monday September 23 we will have a contact event for visitors.
- Zoo d'Amiens, Amiens, France
- Zoo d'Asson, Asson, France - Celebrating on 13th of July!
- Zoo de Lille, Lille, France - Join us on 14th of September for IRPD
- Zoo de La Barben, La Barben, France - On September 21st and 22nd we will have a special feeding for our red pandas, and will present on the threats and RPN's actions to help.
- Zoo de La Boissiere-du-Dore, La Boissière-du-Doré, France - Celebrating on 28th-29th of September
- Zoo du Bassin d'Arcachon, La Teste de Buch, France
- Zoo Duisburg, Duisburg, Germany - Celebrating on September 28th
- Zoo Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia - IRPD we Will celabrate on 21st and 22nd of September 2019. We Will organized workshops and guiding tours about red pandas.
- Zoo Montana, Billings, MT, USA - Celebrate IRPD with us September 16-21, 2019. Learn about Red Pandas and conservation efforts, become a Red Panda Ranger, and more! Saturday, be sure to visit our booth at the Red Panda exhibit for special programming and enrichment activities with the Red Pandas. Your donations and proceeds from ZooMontana Red Panda adoptions and gift shop sales will go to support RPN.
- Zoo New England, Boston, MA, USA - Celebrating at Franklin Park Zoo on Saturday, Sept. 21st from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Zoo Poznań, Poznań, Poland - Join us for a family event with fun zone, special feeding of our two red pandas, and zookeeper chat on Sept. 21st.
- Zoopark Chomutov, p.o., Chomutov, Czech Republic - We are celebrating IRPD 2019 on 21st of September.Le Pal, Saint-Pourçain-sur-Besbre, France - Celebrating on 15th September