Become a Red Panda Ranger!
Kids, become a Red Panda Ranger today and help us spread the word about red pandas.
Red Panda Ranger is a special title given to children who help spread the word about red pandas. To become a Red Panda Ranger, “climb” each of the five mountains on the map below by completing the activities for each mountain.
Download Our Ranger Program Form (PDF)
Color in Your Red Panda
Click here to print out this image. Your drawing could be featured on our website! (PDF)
- The red panda is the ORIGINAL panda. It was first described in 1821, 48 years before the giant panda was found.
- The origin of the name “Panda” derives from a Nepalese word for red panda – “Nigalya poonya”- which means “eater of bamboo.”
- One local Chinese name for the red panda is hunho or firefox, due to their color and similar size to a fox. The web browser “Firefox” is named after them.
- Like giant pandas, red pandas have an extra “thumb,” which is an enlarged bone for grabbing bamboo stems.
- Red Pandas claws are sharp and can be pulled back like a cat.
- A red panda eats approximately 200,000 bamboo leaves daily.
- Red Pandas’ red and black color camouflages them from their predators. The red on their backs is exactly the same color as moss found on the trees where they live. The black on their stomach makes it difficult to see them from below.